The home is one place where everyone should feel safe the most. But unfortunately, this is not the reality in most cases. There are several ways through which the safety of the home might be threatened and this is why everyone should put up extra measures to keep their homes secured.
In most cases, when people hear about insecurities around their home, the first thing that comes to mind is burglars. And the next thought of action is whether they should get a gun or not. Getting a gun is a great idea if you can afford one. And don’t forget about the cost of getting a license for it and the fact that you would also need a best suitable gun safe. However, keeping the home safe goes beyond keeping burglars away and everyone need to be able to have safe homes without breaking the bank. So, below are various tips on how to have a well secured home at little or no cost:
- Flood your home with light: Intruders prefer to operate in the dark because they do not want to be caught. So, burglars always target homes without good sources of light. Moreover, darkness put home owners at risk of accidents. Children running around a dark area can bump into objects that would hurt them. So, increase the safety of your home by installing light bulbs in strategic places in such a way that night time feels like daytime inside your house. Furthermore, flooding the inside of your home with light and neglecting your surroundings is still not good enough. You need to install security lights in your surroundings also. These would enable you to sit outdoors in the evenings without risk of being hurt. Also, outdoor lights make it possible for you to detect intruders easily. In fact, burglars would rather keep away from such places since it would be hard for them to stay hidden before gaining entrance into the house.
- Install childproof window guards: When installing window guards, we tend to focus more on making it useful as escape routes. So, most of these guards have screws that can be removed easily in case of fire outbreaks in the home. But what most adults forget that kids in the home can also try to unscrew the guards when adults are not around them. This is quite risky. Hospitals records show most cases of children that fell from high places happened from their bedroom windows or that of their parents. So, to make your home safer, install an extra childproof barrier behind your window guards. Another option is to make sure that the screws on the windows guards cannot be loosed by kids or inaccessible to them.
- Get a dog: The most homely pet that you can easy invest in is a dog. They are friendly and kids love them. Also, rearing a dog is quite affordable. So, asides from getting companionship from a dog, you would also have two extra eyes guarding your home day and night. Dogs are known to be hard on strangers especially the fierce breeds. However, no matter how friendly your dog can be, ninety-five percent strangers would stay away from it. This implies that intruders would keep off your home. Police interview with burglars made us to know that they specially eliminate homes with dogs from their target list. And when they were asked the reason for doing such, they said dogs would attack them and foil there mission. Also, they explained that in cases where the dogs fail to attack, their presence would be announced through the barking of the dog.
- Keep harmful chemicals locked up: There are various chemicals that are used in homes. The chemicals might be for washing strategic places or bleaching. They can also be for business purposes or just about anything. So, anything that is labeled as not to be consumed should be locked up in safe places. There had been medical emergencies where it was detected that some drank harmful liquids in place of water. This would only happen because the harmful liquids where not properly stored. Some individuals would say that they don’t really need to such because they can’t make that obvious switch. But have you thought about kids and visitors who come into your home? These ones might not know that the liquid is not water. So, it is better for you to play safe than smart. You can avoid some health complications by simply adhering to this rule.
- Have an escape plan: No matter how safe your home seems to be, hazards can happen at any time. There may be fire outbreaks, flooding, or accidents at any time. So, bear these thoughts in mind and come up with an escape plan for any situation. Nobody want to be trapped in fire and neither would someone want to helpless in the case of an accidents that leaves one immobile. Once you have escape plans for different situations, teach all those that stay in your home and let them practice it.